Our Parish History
Our Lady of Lourdes, Arnside
Click here for directions to Our Lady of Lourdes, Arnside
During the two centuries following the Reformation, Catholicism in the district was centred on Leighton Hall, subsequently expanding to the Parish of Yealand with the building of St. Mary's Church in 1852.
The first celebration of Mass in Arnside is recorded as being held in a private house in 1926 for a congregation of just seven people. Later in the same year a Roman Catholic Church was established at Pier Lane which had just been vacated by the Educational Institute. This continued to be used as a Mass Centre for over fifty years but it was often too small to accommodate those who wished to worship. In 1977 the Church was transferred to the present premises on Silverdale Road, which had started life as the first Arnside National School before being dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.
Christ the King, Milnthorpe
Milnthorpe's first Mass Centre began in 1935 and moved from place to place until it occupied the Old Malt Kiln, behind the present Presbytery, from 1946. On the 22nd November 1970 the present church was opened, the gift of two parishioners who had already from time to time helped to keep in good condition the "Old Church"
Of particular interest in the "new" church is a large stained glass window depicting the creation of the world, made by the monks of Buckfast Abbey and designed by Fr. Charles Norris, OSB.
A striking continuous 29 feet long ceramic tells the story of the Way of the Cross in one uninterrupted pictorial narrative, on the west wall of the church. Both this and the figure of Christ the King, on the entrance wall of the church, were designed and made by the famous Polish artist Adam Kossowski.
In 2008 an attractive stone built Parish Hall was added to the church, thanks to the generous gift of a parishioner.